To us UK types, the non-celebrity wedding of some girl in the US is no big deal. Was Jordan there, in a pink meringue? No. Was it on the cover of Hello? Uh uh. Was Jennifer Anniston a maid of honour? Don’t think so.
But I was fiddling around on Googles Blogsearch and I noticed that the blogs were going crazy about someone getting married in America and I couldn’t help checking it out. I saw the word ‘Chelsea’ and I assumed it was the chat show girl out of ‘Chelsea Lately’, which I get to watch on cable when Mum’s out late, and I thought – cool.
It wasn’t her, though, it was Chelsea Clinton. Mum says she remembers her when she was the President’s daughter in the Nineties, which made her the First Girl or something. She wore braces and had pouffy hair and wasn’t exactly uber-chic, but she seemed sweet. Now she’s 30 and she’s marrying an investment banker. I suppose someone has to. So far so dull.
BUT THEN I SAW THE PICTURES.
(Ignore the boring ones and skip to number 20)
These are the things I like about Chelsea Clinton’s wedding, and why she’s a yay.
- She rocks that Vera Wang wedding dress. Off the shoulder is her thing. The belt is TO DIE FOR. She even makes the bordering-on-meringue skirt look OK. The colour is sooooooooo beautiful. Minimal jewellery, apart from the belt. Chic? Oui.
- She looks very very very very happy and in love. This is how I want to look on my wedding day. Not Angelina-scary-look-how-happy-I-am in love, but really in love. Awwww.
- They invited a ‘mere’ 400 people, which is apparently not very many if your dad’s the ex-president and your mum is the current Secretary of State.
- Plus, she may be marrying an investment banker, but she’s doing a degree in Public Service. (Didn’t know you could. Turns out you can.) Edie SO approves.
- They didn’t sell the pictures to Hello, or OK or US Weekly.
- Even her mum looks really good in her Oscar de la Renta fuscia thing. And not to be bitchy or anything, but Hilary Clinton is not famous for looking great in clothes.
- Because Hilary is the Secretary of State, they got the area declared a Federal No Fly Zone for the day, so no paparazzi helicopters could fly over. HOW COOL IS THAT???
- Christopher Bailey, of Burberry (Emma Watson’s designer BFF), designed the groom’s suit and gave it to him as a present. Awwww.
- Did I say Chelsea looks really really happy and Vera Wang did a great job with the dress? I think so.
- They gave people stuff like local cookies and peaches in their goodie bags (there were goodie bags). Awwww.
Watch and learn, Katie Price. Watch and learn.